HST NEW HOUSING REBATE
You may be eligible to claim a rebate for a part of the HST you pay on the purchase price or cost of building your home if:
- You buy a new or substantially renovated home (including the land or if you lease the land) from a builder;
- You buy a new mobile home (including a modular home) or a floating home from a builder or vendor;
- You buy a share of capital stock of a co-operative housing corporation;
- You construct or substantially renovate your own home, or carry out a major addition (or hire another person to do so); or
- Your home is destroyed in a fire and is subsequently rebuilt.
- The purchase price of resale homes are exempt from the HST. The purchase price of newly constructed homes are subject to HST.
- New home buyers can apply for a 36% rebate of the federal portion of HST applicable to the purchase price to a maximum of $6,300 for homes costing $350,000 or less. For new homes priced between $350,000 and $450,000, the rebate on the federal portion of the HST rebate would be reduced proportionately. New homes priced $450,000 or higher would not receive a rebate of the federal portion of the HST.
- New home buyers can apply for a 75% rebate of the provincial portion of the HST applicable to the purchase price to a maximum of $24,000.
Due to regular changes in government programs, OMDREB doesn't guarantee that this is the most recent information. Please see the respective websites for the most up-to-date information.