Broker Profile: Melissa Charlton
March 13, 2017
1. Which brokerage are you from?
The Charlton Advantage Real Estate Team from Royal LePage Meadowtowne Brokerage in Milton.
2. How long have you been in the industry?
I'm currently in my 11th year as a REALTOR®.
3. Why did you go into real estate?
I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit. Real estate appealed to me because I would be 100 per cent responsible for my success or failure.
4. What is the hardest part about being a real estate agent/broker?
The most challenging part is staying ahead of the newest innovations and technologies in order to remain competitive in the market place. We are constantly learning and implementing new things so we can succeed.
5. What is the best piece of advice you can give a newbie agent?
The best piece of advice for a new agent – get business/real estate coaching ASAP. In the 10-plus years I've been in the business, our team has been in the Royal LePage Chairman's Club (top one per cent in Canada) five times. We would not have been able to achieve this level of success, this quickly, had we not been a part of weekly accountability and leveraging systems that other teams had successfully implemented in the past. Don't try and reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.
6. Tell us about your first sale (details and how it made you feel).
Honestly, I can't even remember my first sale - however I feel the same way after every sale – exhilarated! When I used to negotiate an offer at night I would come home and I couldn't fall asleep because I was still on a "high.“ Now I'm no longer in the field selling and I focus my time as being CEO/team leader and I miss those nights.
7. What are three things an agent needs to be successful?
1) Be humble. Constantly have a learning mindset and never feel like you "know it all.“
2) Always be professional and treat those around you with kindness. A good reputation can make the difference between your client’s offer being accepted or rejected.
3) Be clear on your values and learn how to protect your commission. The problem with the race to the bottom is that you might win.
8 .What is your motto in business?
Have reverence for your clients and your profession. Sometimes people are so focused on doing deals that they lose sight of the fact that it's a privilege to be able to help someone with the biggest purchase of their lives.
9. What is an agent’s greatest asset?
An agent's greatest asset is clients who have worked with you in the past. Treat them really well, and you'll get back whatever you put in 100 fold.
10. What are some common mistakes Realtors make and what can be done to avoid these?
A big mistake is when agents wait for business to passively come to them instead of focusing on DAILY lead conversion and generation. If I didn't have any clients and I was starting my business that's all I would do. Time block a minimum of 2 hours a day towards these activities, ongoing, and you'll have more business then you can handle. Don't let it drop or you'll end up in a feast or famine cycle of business that can be extremely stressful.
If you are a broker/managing broker and are interested in being featured, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Check out our other Broker Profiles