State of Housing report indicates Region meeting targets
Halton's annual State of Housing report has indicated that the Region met its target in 2014 for affordable housing options.
Sixty-three and a half per cent or 2,299 of the 3,619 housing unit completions in 2014 were apartments or townhouses.
For the second consecutive year, 30 per cent of new housing units constructed in Halton were either considered “affordable” or “assisted” – maintaining the Region’s Official Plan obligations.
In Halton, “affordable” units are considered those sold under $348,300 and a snapshot of the state of housing indicates more than half of these homes are located in Burlington.
The Region’s Official Plan calls for 50 per cent of new housing units to be affordable housing options.
2014 Housing numbers:
- 12,723 houses sold in Halton
- 2,325 (18.3 per cent) - new homes
- 10,398 (81.7 per cent) - re-sale dwellings
- $571,250 - average price of all homes
- $719,996 - average price of single-detached
- $444,427 - average price of semi-detached
- $413,690 - average price of townhouse
- $336,619 - average price of condo apartment
- 37.9% of the new sales
- 32.8% of the re-sales
- 28.6% of the new sales
- 22.8% of the re-sales
- 25.3% of the new sales
- 34% of the re-sales
- 8.2% of the new sales
- 10.4% of the re-sales
Type Sold (New Units):
- Single-detached homes- 47.8%
- Condominium apartments - 28.3%
- Townhouses - 20.5%
- Semi-detached homes - 3.4%
Source: Oakville Beaver